Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 18:52:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Blackpool (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 30749 36175



2/5 Grand Theatre 26.1.1972 II*

Theatre, 1894, by Frank Matcham. Stone corner-entrance block of 3 storeys in flamboyant free Baroque, with drum and dome: 3-sided canted facade with round-arched entrances at ground floor; upper storeys have giant pilasters flanking windows which are paired at each side with bullseye above, Venetian in the centre; attic storey of scrolled gables with finials each side; stone drum with paired classical pilasters and domed roof of copper fish-scale tiles, surmounted by cupola, rises through the centre. Interior: auditorium of 3 balconies, cantilevered and double-curved; semicircular proscenium arch flanked by corbelled curved boxes under semicircular arches, richly crested with pediments and putti; oval ceiling. Fibrous plaster decoration in very ornate Baroque style, gilded and painted: fronts of boxes freely ornamented with cherubs, putti, swags, etc., and painted panels. Pendentives each side of proscenium arch have large oval panels with paintings of muses. Ceiling carries 2 heavily-moulded circular bosses supporting chandeliers, surrounded by 6 large panels painted with portrait medallions, nymphs, putti, garlands, etc.; all enclosed by coved cornice. Dress circle level has ironwork staircase head, and wood- panelled bar with stained glass windows. The whole building, ingeniously providing much accommodation on a small site, was completed in 7 months from December 1893 to July 1894.

Listing NGR: SD3074936175


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01769/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G M Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].