PUBLIC LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1280724
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1972
Statutory Address:
PUBLIC LIBRARY, 12, HENLEY STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280724.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2021 at 19:55:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
PUBLIC LIBRARY, 12, HENLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Stratford-upon-Avon
National Grid Reference:
SP 20088 55086

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2055SW HENLEY STREET 604-1/8/103 (North East side) 09/02/72 No.12 Public Library

GV II

Town house, now public library. Late C15, restored and extended 1901-2 by EG Holtom, and incorporating former Technical School of 1899 by AS Flower. Timber-frame with plaster infill on rubble base, and brick with ashlar dressings; tile roofs with brick end and rear stacks. 2 storeys, 3-window range with 2-storey jettied and gabled wing to left and 2-storey with attic, single-window range to right. 3-window range has close studding, part to right is C20 and has recessed brick ground floor under jettied 1st floor. All windows have leaded glazing. Ground floor has 6-light wooden-mullioned window and ashlar double-chamfered-mullioned windows of 4 and 3 lights; 1st floor has 3-light and two 4-light wooden-mullioned windows; rear stack and end stack; foundation stone to right end. Wing to left has square framing; entrance with C20 doors to right of 8-light wooden-mullioned window with diagonally set mullions; 1st floor has 2-light window with flanking single lights and 3-light window above; arch-braces to tie beam. Right end has jettied gabled attic, enriched barge-boards and bressumers; entrance with 4-centred head and overlights, battened door and strap hinges to left of window of 4 lights with 4-centred heads; 1st-floor oriel window with, on coving, 1:5:1-light transomed window with side lights; 3-light attic window has traceried lintel; end stack. Rear has single-storey roughcast gabled wing and long brick wing to former technical school. INTERIOR: ground floor has heavy chamfered beams and flat joists; fireplace of brick and tile and pot hanger, ex-situ carved frieze with vine trail. Rear wing with arch-braced collar trusses. 1st floor has exposed roof trusses: wing has tie-beam and collar truss with double-chamfered tie, braces and wall posts, another infilled truss has collar; wind braces. To right a bay with arch-braced tie beam and 2 collars with struts; C20 two-bay roof has arch-braced collar truss with king post and halved collar, double purlins with wind braces. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was to be demolished for the building of a Carnegie library, but a campaign to save it, led by the novelist Marie Corelli, was successful, the 1st example of a local conservation campaign. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 36; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 49-50).

Listing NGR: SP2008855086

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
366268
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988)
Forrest, H E, The Old Houses of Stratford upon Avon, (1925), 49-50

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14259/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].