CHAPEL OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1280896
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
04-Sep-1985
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST CHAD, BARTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280896.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:32:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST CHAD, BARTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Barton Blount
National Grid Reference:
SK 20836 34703

Details

SK 23 SW PARISH OF BARTON BLOUNT OFF BARTON LANE 3/1 (West Side) 2.9.52 Chapel of St Chad (formerly GV II listed with Barton Hall)

Private chapel, formerly parish church. Rebuilt 1714 by Samuel Taborer, probably using medieval masonry. Altered in 1845. Coursed squared sandstone and ashlar. Plain tile roof and stone coped gables with plain kneelers with obelisk finials and west bellcote. Pilasters at the corners with pieces of cornice. Moulded eaves cornice. South elevation has a round-arched south doorway with key and impost blocks. Plain, mostly mid C19 interior. Plaster ceiling. Early C19 recumbent effigy of a lady wearing a wimple. Wall tablet c1763 on north wall. Three C19 wall tablets on the south wall by Hall of Derby. Squat C14 font octagonal bowl on octagonal base with concave sides. C18 Style altar rails by Horrabin of Derby 1926. Excellent stained glass in the west window of c1881. The chapel of St Chad is also scheduled as an Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: SK2083934726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
82655
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].