CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1280972
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1280972.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2020 at 03:56:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Orby
National Grid Reference:
TF 49064 67248

Details

TF 46 NE ORBY CHURCH LANE (west side)

5/40 Church of All Saints 3.2.67 II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, C17 porch, chancel rebuilt 1888. Greenstone ashlar, squared greenstone, sandstone and chalk, coursed rubble, red brick, lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, south aisle and porch, chancel. C16 3 stage greenstone ashlar tower with bell moulded plinth, 2 chamfered string courses, battlemented parapet, stepped corner buttresses with some brick patching, crocketed pinnacles. To belfry stage are 2 light openings with panel tracery and concave moulded surrounds: To the west a 3 light matching window, and in the middle stage a 2 light similar window. On the north side of the nave is a pointed doorway with moulded hood and reset human head keystone. Beyond is a 3 light C16 panel traceried window in an earlier opening, and a tall C13 lancet. The clerestorey is of 6 paired C16 lights with cinquefoils to the heads. In the chancel are 2 C14 2 light windows, one with flowing, the other with reticulated tracery. In the east wall is a C14 2 light window with C19 tracery. The south wall is in mixed stonework with a re-used C14 2 light window and a single C19 light. The rainwater head is dated 1888. The south aisle has a 2 light C19 window to the east and west and a 3 light C14 window with ogee heads to the lights and rectangular head and hood. Clerestorey matches that to the north. Early C17 gabled red brick porch, in English bond with plinth, chamfered and pointed outer arch with above a niche, now with C19 roof. The inner doorway is single chamfered and pointed, with hood mould. Interior. 3 bay south arcade, early C16, with quirked and chamfered octagonal piers, with reeded capitals, hollow chamfered arches with stop chamfers. C16 tower arch, octagonal reveals and capitals, bell moulded base, tall double chamfered arch. Matching chancel arch, set in earlier and larger opening. Hollow chamfered rear arches to clerestorey. C16 aisle roof with moulded principals, chamfered commons and bold roll moulding at the junctions. Also a pointed piscina and 2 statue brackets, one with faces and a rosette. The chancel of 1888 incorporates the head and bowl of a C13 piscina. Fittings. Fine mosaic reredos, of the Annunciation, in Pre Raphaelite style with background of twining roses dated 1915. Handsome organ of 1830 by Parsons of London in veneered walnut case. Painted board of Royal Arms of George III. C15 octagonal font, with cusped and shielded panels to bowl and 4 cusped panels to stem.

Listing NGR: TF4906467248

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196041
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05889/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].