THE HAWTHORNS PENDELL COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1281104
Date first listed:
11-Jun-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
THE HAWTHORNS PENDELL COURT, PENDELL ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281104.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:33:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE HAWTHORNS PENDELL COURT, PENDELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Tandridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bletchingley
National Grid Reference:
TQ 31706 51889

Details

TQ 35SW BLETCHINGLEY C.P. PENDELL ROAD

2/49 The Hawthorns 11/6/58 Pendell Court (formerly listed as Pendell Court with Garden House)

GV II*

House, now Private school. Dated 1624, extended to left and rear in 1880's. Brick on brick plinth with stone dressings, parallel range plain tiled roofs with corbelled front stack to left, diagonal stacks to rear right and 4 stacks to rear right of centre. 2 storeys with attics in gables, string courses over ground and first floor. Symmetrical, 5 gabled bays, centre bay projecting, stone dressed mullion and transomed windows with label mouldings over attic windows and oval openings to gable tops. Angle bay windows rising through two floors to outer bays. Central stone arched entrance on chamfered piers with square panel door behind in moulded surround. Wooden strapwork dog gates across porch opening with trefoil metal finials. Right hand return front: angle bay window rising through two floors to left. Left hand return front: C19 single storey extension to left.

Rear: late C19 dovecot attached to left, wood framed, tile hung above, with square ogee dome top and iron weathervane finial.

Interior: Panelled entrance hall with black and white stone floor. Dentilled cornice and original lozenge shape plaster strapwork ceiling decoration. Robust imitation of original decoration in Billard room to left with stone Jacobean style fireplace. Jacobean style staircase with square tapering balusters on large cushions; square spike finials to newel posts. C18 rooms to ground floor right with fielded panelling, marble fireplaces and lugged doorcase surround: Delicate floral plasterwork to ceiling and shellhead niche buffets.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England Surrey (1971): pp, 405 -6 VCH, Surrey Volume IV(1967) FP 253.

Listing NGR: TQ3170651889

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
287286
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey, (1912), 253
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 405-406

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02102/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].