WALLS TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281213
Date first listed:
14-Nov-1986
Statutory Address:
WALLS TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281213.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:25:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALLS TO EAST OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Medway (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Halling
National Grid Reference:
TQ 70540 63899

Details

HALLING CP HIGH STREET TQ 76 SW 13/57 East side Walls to east of Church of St John the Baptist GV II

Walls, formerly part of the palace of the Bishops of Rochester. Probably C13, but Bishop Hamo de Hethe repaired and enlarged the palace between 1322 and 1337. Flint and ragstone with some sand- stone dressings. 50 feet along east side of churchyard with return wall at north end. Three lancets with cusped heads to east with segmental rere-arches.

Listing NGR: TQ7045863959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
172888
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/04756/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Hall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].