LYCHGATE TO CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281249
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
LYCHGATE TO CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCHGATE TO CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281249.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 20:30:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYCHGATE TO CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 19382 42152

Details

AIREBOROUGH CHURCH STREET SE 14 SE LS 20 (south side) Guiseley 10A/39 Lychgate to - Church of St, Oswald GV II

Lychgate. Early C20. Snecked sandstone, stone slate roof. Front and rear archways in Perpendicular style, moulded in 2 orders, with hoodmoulds linked to dripmould which carries round the whole; band in gable with small statue of St. Oswald on corbel in centre, lettering on the band OSWALD to the left, and PATRON SAINT to the right; SOLDIER KING MARTYR OF GUISELEY gable coping with kneelers and finials apex cross. Each side wall has on oculus.

Interior: side walls lined with inscribed granite panels, those on the left under a band lettered "READ HERE THE NAMES OF GUISELEY MEN WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY 1914-1918" (76 names on panels), and those on the right under a band lettered "REST ETERNAL GRANT UNTO THEM GOOD LORD IN THY PARADISE" (75 names on panels). Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SE1938242152

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 31 January 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342300
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 31 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/46910

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/01736/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr TE Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].