THROPTON UNITED REFORMED CHURCH WITH FRONT WALL AND GATEPIERS TO MANSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281695
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
THROPTON UNITED REFORMED CHURCH WITH FRONT WALL AND GATEPIERS TO MANSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281695.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:53:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
THROPTON UNITED REFORMED CHURCH WITH FRONT WALL AND GATEPIERS TO MANSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Thropton
National Grid Reference:
NU 02863 02247

Details

THROPTON THROPTON VILLAGE NU 00 SW (South side) 16/317 Thropton United Reformed Church (formerly listed 21.10.53 as Presbyterian Church) with front wall and gatepiers to Manse GV II

Presbyterian Church. 1863 by F.R. Wilson of Alnwick. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Rectangular 4-bay plan with 3-sided eastern apse, north-west porch carrying bell turret and south-east vestry. Free C13 style. Stepped buttresses, moulded sill string. West end has 4-light window and coped gable on moulded kneelers; other windows are all trefoil-headed lancets. Porch has boarded double doors with foliate hinges; upper part steps back to octagonal turret carrying square belfry with trefoil- headed openings, under steep gablets with sunk ornament,and spirelet with carved finial.

Interior: Plastered. All windows with shouldered rear arches. Arch-braced collar-beam roof with moulded pendants and king struts; similar half-trusses over apse. Truss fronting apse has wallposts and cusped braces. Panelled pulpit set centrally against east wall; numbered benches.

Low front wall with chamfered coping (rails removed) runs east from porch to stop-chamferedgatepiers with pyramidal caps, holding C20 wrought-iron gate.

Listing NGR: NU0286302247

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236663
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/15201/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Mary Scott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].