CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281831
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1978
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, STRAITS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281831.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2021 at 10:07:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, STRAITS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Dorset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 69294 71850

Details

PORTLAND

SY6871 STRAITS, Easton 969-1/4/60 (North side) 21/09/78 Church of All Saints

II

Anglican parish church. 1914/1917 by Crickmay and Sons. Portland ashlar, tile roofs, with 4 courses of stone slates to eaves level of roofs other than nave and aisles; lead to S chapel. Four-bay nave, cross-gabled aisles, north-west porch, transepts, chancel, south chapel, vestry; the west end of S aisle intended to carry tower, not built. Windows generally in Perpendicular style, but to chancel are late Decorated. All gables with copings - at lower levels a hollow-mould saddle back, and high level stepped and weathered - and all on slight plinth. West front with large 5-light, gabled buttress to left and gabled porch slightly set forward, with segmental-pointed arch over plank door. Hopper-head on return by buttress. To right a square buttress with toothing to receive tower, and flat segmental-headed arch over door in set-back end of aisle; to right further toothing and base of large square buttress for tower. South side has bell in small bellcote on west gable end, then 3 gables over 4-light windows separated by deep weathered buttresses to single offset. Four cast-iron hopper-heads and down-pipes. Transept gable on haunches flanked by gabled buttresses over 4-light and an offset gabled porch with plank doors to pointed arch. Beyond is chapel to blocking and parapet with two 2-light cusped lights, and a stone hopper-head, behind which are three 3-light chancel windows. East end has low gabled end to chapel over 3-light with flat pointed head, and main gable with terminal cross and large 5-light window. Set back, to left, long low wing with 2 windows and door. North front has gabled end to low block with 2 and 3-light windows and door, under single light to chancel, then high gabled organ loft, with large square stack, and semi-octagonal stair turret to pyramid capping. Remainder of north side - transept and aisles - as S front. Interior: Four-bay nave on moulded arches to quatrefoil piers with roll mould. Arch-braced roof principals, simplified at half-bays; complex aisle roofs, painted timber wagon ceiling to chancel. Unplastered walls. Panelled wall with central curtain to reredos to cill height, 4-centred arch over door N side to vestry, under stepped string course continued to S side over piscina and sedilia, and similar door to S chapel. Simple original pews, and good choir stalls, splendid octagonal carved wood pulpit on striped stone base. Windows in S chapel by Clayton and Bell, dedicated to Canon John Augustine Beazer (1872-1909), of St. George, Reforne (qv) - the church replaced by All Saints. Octagonal font and cover with animal supporters. A very confident design, with meticulous detailing, retaining most of the original fittings. It is unfortunate that the intended tower was not built. At the west end is a large framed (undated) tithe map. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Newman J: Dorset: London: 1972-1989: 341).

Listing NGR: SY6929471850

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382024
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 341
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/09421/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].