CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, LYCH GATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281838
Date first listed:
17-May-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, LYCH GATE, WESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, LYCH GATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281838.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 09:06:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, LYCH GATE, WESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 68676 72008

Details

PORTLAND

SY67SE WESTON ROAD, Easton 969-1/1/85 (West side) Church of St George, lych gate

GV II

Lych gate, memorial to Rebecca Newman Stone, died 1934. Portland ashlar, slate roof. A hipped slate roof with lead ridge and decorative wrought iron cross is carried on two deep lintels on stone cheeks formed from paired square piers linked by recessed segmental-arched openings above stone panels. The box eaves also bears on paired moulded wood brackets to E and W. Coffered wood ceiling. The lintel to the E, or entry side inscribed 'To the Glory of God', that to the W with 'A Shelter for those who mourn'. The stone panel on the S side of the entry records that the gate is a memorial to Rebecca Newman Stone, who died in 1934, and that to the N, undated, 'Also erected in memory of Edward and Ann Comben Stone'. The churchyard wall (qv) is swept up at its junction with the lych, and has scrolled supporters. There are no gates (June 1991). This is a very seemly and appropriate entry to a splendid churchyard and church. Included for group value.

Listing NGR: SY6867672009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382076
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04606/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].