BRIDGE IN TOUTS QUARRY AT NGR SY 685 727

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1281839
Date first listed:
17-May-1993
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE IN TOUTS QUARRY AT NGR SY 685 727, WIDE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE IN TOUTS QUARRY AT NGR SY 685 727
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1281839 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:36:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE IN TOUTS QUARRY AT NGR SY 685 727, WIDE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
Weymouth and Portland (District Authority)
Parish:
Portland
National Grid Reference:
SY 68509 72730

Details

PORTLAND

SY67SE WIDE STREET, Yeates 969-1/1/191 (West side (off)) Bridge in Touts Quarry at NGR SY 685 727

II

Foot bridge over track or quarry rail bed. Dated 1854. Dry-laid thin-bedded Portland stone with ashlar dressings. Set between natural rock revetments where track cut through, arch c 2.5m wide and 3.5m to crown, to tunnel vault c4m long, in good dressed quoins and voussoirs, including cranked single stone voussoir at haunches; above crown a plain stone with inscription 'J.C.LANO 1854'. Bridge rises to c 5.5m, without parapets, and with overgrown earth walkway. On the NW side, which is overgrown with ivy (June 1991), there is an adit on the N side, blocked with loose masonry at c 3m depth. A flight of 27 concrete steps descends by the S abutment. The name Lano occurs amongst the inscriptions in the churchyard to St. George Reforne; this is a well-built structure with some design pretension in an abandoned quarry area.

Listing NGR: SY6850972730

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
382082
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/05395/36
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Reg Perry. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].