CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1282233

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HOTWELL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:36:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, HOTWELL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 57166 72569

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772NW HOTWELL ROAD, Hotwells 901-1/14/1461 (North side) 08/01/59 Church of Holy Trinity

II*

Church. 1829. By CR Cockerell. Interior by T Burrough. Bath stone ashlar and a slate roof. Open plan. Neoclassical style. Plain E elevation, N elevation is 5 bays of round-arched windows. W front in 3 sections defined by wide pilasters, the centre one breaking forward, with a deep cornice. A high rusticated plinth to a sill band and tall round-arched windows, either side of the central section of 3 doorways with pedimented lintels on volute consoles and plain jambs, the middle one taller, with above them a central, round-arched window and plain flat-headed ones either side. The dominant elevation is that to the S, a symmetrical 5-window range of round-arched windows, with the rusticated plinth, pilasters and cornice, and a massive porch with an open pediment on giant Doric pilasters, enclosing a tall coffered niche. Inside it a round-arched window and a door like that in the W end, a plat band and beneath it 2 smaller side doors. In the tympanum is a sculpture of the Holy Spirit by Tyley. Above the pediment is a tall plinth and clock, and an open bell turret with pilasters, a cornice with acroteria, and a ball finial. INTERIOR: completely rebuilt after being gutted during World War II. Nothing survives of the original cruciform, galleried interior, except the use of a shallow glazed dome. An impressive and powerfully-articulated facade. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 247; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 411).

Listing NGR: ST5716672569

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379826

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 247
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958), 411

End of official listing