NUMBERS 20 TO 30 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1282396
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 20 TO 30 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 20-30, BERKELEY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 20 TO 30 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282396.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:04:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 20 TO 30 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, 20-30, BERKELEY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 58025 73126

Details

BRISTOL

ST5873SW BERKELEY SQUARE 901-1/10/15 (North East side) 08/01/59 Nos.20-30 (Consecutive) and attached railings and gates (Formerly Listed as: BERLELEY SQUARE Nos.20-30 (Consecutive))

GV II*

Terrace of 11 houses. Begun 1787. By Thomas and William Paty. Limestone ashlar facades and brick with limestone dressings to sides and rear, with party wall stacks and slate mansard roofs. Mid Georgian style. Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. A stepped terrace articulated by giant pilasters to a cornice and parapet, rusticated ground floor to a plat band, and a first-floor sill band. Left-hand doorways have Doric pilasters, triglyphs and pediments to fanlights and 6-panel doors. Keys to ground-floor windows, plain above, with 6/6-pane sashes and 3/3 pane sashes on the second floor. Steps down to the basement. No.20 has a right-hand doorway dressed as the ground-floor windows, with a C20 door, and an entrance in the left return, brick with a symmetrical 5-window range with a large rusticated door surround and deeply-set semicircular-arched doorway with a good fanlight and 2-leaf 6-panel door; 5 stepped voussoirs to blind windows, glazed over the door. Single-storey wall to the left has 2 doorways, to centre with a rusticated surround, and to right in plain ashlar. INTERIOR: entrance hall with a frieze and cornice and fluted dado, to an elliptical arch with panelled reveals and moulded archivolt; central lateral open-well dogleg stair with wrought-iron balusters and a good ramped rail with inlaid veneer, lit by an oval lantern; curved hall cupboard with reeded architrave, marble fireplaces, panelled shutters and 6-panel mahogany doors. No.19 has a right-hand stone dogleg winder stair to the first floor, and a panelled upper stair well to a good domed lantern with oculi to each side and plaster decoration. No.20 has good marble fireplaces. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached wrought-iron front basement area railings and gates, with overthrows to Nos 26 & 28. A widely used design of the Patys, and probably the same as those originally on Park Street (qv). (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 214; Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 214).

Listing NGR: ST5805973115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
378959
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 214
Ison, W, The Georgian Buildings of Bristol, (1952), 214

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04644/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Cemlyn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].