TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1282738
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1989
Statutory Address:
TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, THE SCAR
Statutory Address:
TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GALGATE
Statutory Address:
TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, HORSE MARKET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL
TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1282738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 18:49:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH AND SUNDAY SCHOOL, THE SCAR
Statutory Address:
TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, GALGATE
Statutory Address:
TRINITY METHODIST CHURCH, SUNDAY SCHOOL AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, HORSE MARKET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barnard Castle
National Grid Reference:
NZ 04916 16579

Details

BARNARD CASTLE

NZ0416NE GALGATE 770-1/3/69 (South West side) 17/01/89 Trinity Methodist Church, Sunday School and attached railings

GV II

Methodist church and attached Sunday School with railings. 1894. By Marley & Woodhouse of Bradford. Rock-faced stone with ashlar plinth and dressings; slate roof with stone gable copings and terracotta ridges and finials and stone spire. PLAN: ritual east is geographical west. Nave with ritual south-west tower, west vestibule, shallow transepts, and chancel. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: west elevation has steps up to paired double boarded doors in gabled surrounds with nook-shafts, pointed arches, and gabled buttresses; lancets either side. Pinnacles rising from buttresses have high finials in front of sill-string to large 5-light window with Geometrical tracery. At left, paired cusped lancets to stair tower with blind-arcaded frieze under hexagonal hipped roof; at right, 3-stage tower has 2-light window with tracery in first stage, 2 tall lancets in second, tall 2-light window in third with clock set in head under gable; gabled angle buttresses rise to centre of top stage which has chamfered coping below octagonal angle pinnacles flanking tall spire with bands and lucarnes, and weather-vane finial. All windows chamfered, on sill-strings and with dripmoulds. 2-light cusped traceried windows in nave and transepts, with buttresses defining bays; transept gables have large round windows with geometric tracery. Sunday School building attached to church chancel has gable over 4-light mullioned-and-transomed window under cinquefoil window with plate tracery; relieving arch above. Double-boarded doors at right. Hall to right has 4 two-light mullioned windows under hipped roof. INTERIOR: panelled west gallery with inserted glazed screen below; inserted boarded ceiling above high coving with corbelled trusses and intermediate plaster panels and thin wood ribs. Pointed chamfered rere-arches to windows. Boarded dado. FITTINGS: Gothic fittings, with wood Communion rail on wrought-iron balustrade; richly decorated reading desk with shafts and panels; organ behind reading desk. Incised brass door furniture. Some original pews remain, with Gothic ends and boarded backs, but most removed. MEMORIALS: war memorial in vestibule has names carved on wood panel; other monuments in church include a panel to Rev G Brown, born in Barnard Castle in 1835, died 1917, missionary, explorer and scientist. STAINED GLASS: that in north transept by Abbott & Co. of Leicester: David and Dorcas; south transept war memorial window. Hall has laminated wood roof trusses. Alterations which began in 1989 are expected to continue with conversion of Sunday School room to a flat. Low walls with chamfered coping have spear-headed railings and enclose street fronts of both parts of the building.



Listing NGR: NZ0493316588

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
388698
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/71259
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/71258
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/71257

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]ngland.org.uk.