Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283023.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2020 at 08:54:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Barrow-in-Furness (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 19520 69509



SD16NE DUKE STREET 708-1/5/59 (North East side) 06/05/76 Church of St Mary of Furness


Catholic church. 1866-67. By Edward Welby Pugin; tower dated 1888; sacristy and confessionals added 1894. Snecked red sandstone with gray ashlar sandstone dressings, slate roof. Orientated north-west/south-east: ritual orientation used here. 6-bay nave with west porch and lean-to aisles, 5-stage tower with spire at west end of south aisle; north aisle has octagonal baptistry at north-west corner and 3 small confessionals on north side; semi-octagonal chancel with small south chapel and north sacristy in link to presbytery (qv). Gothic Revival style; lancet windows with hoodmoulds and Geometrical rose windows. Nave: lean-to vestibule against west gable has central doorway with ogee-moulded arch, hoodmould with head-carved stops and roundel in coped gable with cross. Main gable has tall, cusped lancets; short dripmould; elaborate rose window with hoodmould; string course and 2 louvres beneath apex of coped gable with kneelers and cross. South aisle: deeply-chamfered plinth; offset buttresses; 6 lancets each with trefoil above a transom; 3-light chapel window on right. Clerestorey has 14 small lancets the easternmost pair in gabled projection with rose window and cross. North aisle: 2-light west window; baptistry has battered plinth, lancets and hipped roof. Confessionals under hipped roofs set below eaves of aisle; clerestorey as before. Tower: ashlar ground floor (date on Duke Street side). Set-back buttresses with traceried panels and gablets flank pointed west door; the buttresses rise 3 further stages. Above door is a statue of Mary and Child under crocketed canopy set between lancets; lancet above; string course below triple lancets to 4th stage. Buttresses end at an offset from which rise octagonal corner turrets to flank single-light belfry openings set between Ionic columns; blind arcading links the corner turrets which then rise as pinnacles. Slender ashlar spire with tall lucarnes, band of quatrefoils and cross. Chancel: semi-octagonal and under hipped end of main roof; triple lancets beneath continuous hoodmould, roof finial. Short and low south chapel with rose window to east. INTERIOR: west gallery with organ. Arcades: square bases with broaches and moulding; round piers with octagonal and carved capitals; tall moulded arches, the easternmost pair are narrower. Paired clerestorey windows linked by hoodmoulds. Scissor-braced and arch-braced trusses. Chancel: ornate reredos; the triple lancets have colonettes and hoodmoulds; columns on angel corbels support radial, arch-braced roof with boss. Altar with marble colonnettes and crucifix under crocketed canopy flanked by statues of saints within niches. Lady Chapel has alabaster reredos with Mary and Child beneath a canopy. Stained glass in south aisle marked 'Barnell, Newcastle'. Built at a cost of £5,000-6,000, the tower costing a further £2,950. Statue over west door of tower by 'Miss Rogerson of Liverpool' (Centenary booklet). (St Mary of Furness Centenary Celebrations (booklet): Barrow in Furness: 1965-).

Listing NGR: SD1952069509


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
St Mary of Furness Centenary Celebrations, (1965)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/02861/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CJ Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].