HOME FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED FARM BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1283028

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1993

Statutory Address: HOME FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED FARM BUILDINGS, MANOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOME FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED FARM BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283028 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:53:42.

Location

Statutory Address: HOME FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED FARM BUILDINGS, MANOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 22078 72107

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BARROW IN FURNESS

SD27SW MANOR ROAD 708-1/4/88 (North side (off)) 22/10/74 Home Farmhouse and attached farm buildings (Formerly Listed as: MANOR ROAD (OFF) Home Farm inc cottage, stables, coach house & service block to Abbotswood)

GV II

Planned home farm shown as Abbot's Wood House on OS map. c1877. By Paley and Austin (plans) to serve Sir James Ramsden's home Abbotswood (demolished). Sawn ashlar sandstone, red tile roofs with roll-moulded ridges. U-shaped range set around courtyard comprises (clockwise): T- shaped cottage of 1 storey and attic, 1 storey shippon and calf house; across the end a barn with boiling house; right return has pigsties, stable with loft and 1:3 bay cart shed. Cottage: chamfered, mullioned windows with 8-pane sashes; front has gable to left with 3-light under 2-light window; set back to right are single and 2-light windows. Gable bargeboard with pendant; lower ridge to right has stack with shared plinth to 4 round flues; hipped right end incorporates side-facing, 3-light dormer. Right return (to courtyard): 3-light window to ground floor; door within verandah to right; hipped roof dormer over. Verandah continues to right, the roof supported on wooden posts and the eaves broken by 2 gablets; within are doors and mullioned windows to the shippon et al; louvred ridge vents. Barn (across end): large doors beneath gable flanked by 3-light and 4-light mullioned windows, the latter with ventilation grills; tall stack rises from roof slope on left. Right return range: manure house and 2 pigsties with roof dormer over. Stable on right has square-headed door on left and external steps to central loft door flanked by paired slits; hipped roof with bell turret having swept, tiled spirelet with finial. Bay 1 of cartshed to right has doorway, the other 3 bays open-fronted with wooden posts and profiled braces. Cart shed front gable with 5 slits below corbelled wooden dovecote with 16 nesting holes. Courtyard enclosed by later iron gates hung on original round gate piers. Plans survive, the application signed by Paley and Austin; approved 1877. (Building Plans Register: 1877-: 1183).

Listing NGR: SD2208372110

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 388494

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing