CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1283126
Date first listed:
21-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283126.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:36:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY ASCENSION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Littleworth
National Grid Reference:
SU 31248 97152

Details

LITTLEWORTH LITTLEWORTH SU 3197

2/3 Church of the Holy Ascension 21.11.66

- II

Church 1839 by H J Underwood of Oxford with chancel 1876. Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Lancet Gothic. 3-bay nave, broad, aisleless with low pitched stone tiled roof. Side buttresses and diagonal angle buttresses with string course at level of top set-off and window heads. Dentil eaves course. More elaborate west front with bellcote and 2-light west window with quatrefoil light over, all ashlar with hoodmould stepped up from string course. Gabled porch with shafted moulded arch and carved foliage capitals. 2-bay chancel, crazed rubble. Cusped lancets and 3 lancets to east end. Projecting plinth. Priest's door with ornate ironwork. Interior: Thin false hammerbeam nave roof, arched braced collar truss with crown posts to chancel. East window with-moulded rear arches and triple shafts between lights. In nave 4 panels of sacred texts painted on metal in a C15 illuminated manuscript style. Church founded by the Tractarian, E B Pusey.

Listing NGR: SU3124897152

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249488
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/03278/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Hilary Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].