WYKHAM PARK (TUDOR HALL SCHOOL) C17 RANGE TO NORTH EAST OF C19 HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1283504

Date first listed: 09-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: WYKHAM PARK (TUDOR HALL SCHOOL) C17 RANGE TO NORTH EAST OF C19 HOUSE, BLOXHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYKHAM PARK (TUDOR HALL SCHOOL) C17 RANGE TO NORTH EAST OF C19 HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 05:54:02.

Location

Statutory Address: WYKHAM PARK (TUDOR HALL SCHOOL) C17 RANGE TO NORTH EAST OF C19 HOUSE, BLOXHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell (District Authority)

Parish: Banbury

National Grid Reference: SP 44092 37893

Details

SP43NW BANBURY BLOXHAM ROAD (East Side) Wykham 3/1 Wykham Park (Tudor Hall 09/04/52 School) C17 range to NE of C19 house (Formerly listed as Wykham Park (Tudor Hall School))

GV II

House now school boarding house and music rooms. C17 and earlier, remodelled C20. Reset datestone 1619 in left end wall. Finely jointed ashlar ironstone. Stone slate roof laid to diminishing courses with Welsh slate roof to rear. Renewed stone ridge and end stacks. Stone copinqs with renewed stone kneelers. Stone plinth. storeys plus attic. 6-window range altogether. Main range is flanked by wings of one-window width. Main range: 4-centred doorway to left has chamfered soffit and jambs. Plank door. Doorway is flanked by 3-light stone-mullioned windows with hood moulds and label stops, To right of door a small square recess has carved stone floral decoration. Four 3-light stone-mullioned windows to first floor have hood moulds and label stops. Side wings have the same window arrangement: 4-light stone mullions to ground flour and first floor and 3-light stone mullions to attic storey. All windows have hood moulds and label stops. 4-centred doorways on return sides have plank doors and hood moulds. Some windows have wrought-iron casement fasteners. Interior: remodelled. Large C20 additions to rear not of special architectural interest. (Skelton, J., History of Oxfordshire, 1823, Banbury Hundred, p.6; Beesley, A.: History of Banbury 1841, p.107 and 349; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire. Vol.X, p.47).

Listing NGR: SP4409237893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 244289

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beesley, A, History of Banbury, (1841), 107 349
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1972), 47
Skelton, J, History of Oxfordshire, (1823), 6

End of official listing