CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1283930
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, LEET HILL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1283930.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 04:17:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, LEET HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
East Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Dunwich
National Grid Reference:
TM 47474 70594

Details

TM 47 SE DUNWICH LEET HILL 7/23 Church of St. James 7.12.66

GV II

Parish church. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. 1837-42 by Robert Appleton; considerably altered 1881, probably by E.F. Bisshopp: chancel added, nave cased in flint and given new windows, tower rebuilt and interior re-cast. Brick core with random flint and stone facing, stucco dressings; plaintiled roof with crest tiles, slates to porch. Narrow square tower, diagonal buttresses to west face, crenellated parapet; narrow lancet bell 1 chamber openings, clock face to north. Nave with 3 2-light windows in Decorated style to north and south; chancel with one broad lancet to north and south and a 3-light semi-circular headed east window with wooden reticulated tracery. Good 7 bay arch-braced nave roof, 3-bay chancel roof of similar design, both with richly carved corbels to wall posts. Set of 32 benches to nave with carved poppyheads; other good carved woodwork includes rood screen, pulpit, altar rails, stalls, holy table and reredos; octagonal font in Norman style. Monument to Michael Barne (d.1837) by William Behnes on north chancel wall: sarcophagus with profile head in relief, long inscription; south sanctuary wall with monument to Frederick Barne (d. 1886), the last M.P. for Dunwich; in the south west corner of the nave is a mounted fragment of a C16 brass inscription from All Saints Church.

Listing NGR: TM4747470594

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
285539
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15109/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Durrant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].