THE COURT HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1284061
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
THE COURT HOUSE, LOWER WOODFORD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284061.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 10:14:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COURT HOUSE, LOWER WOODFORD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Woodford
National Grid Reference:
SU 12621 35318

Details

WOODFORD LOWER WOODFORD SU 13 NW (east side)

8/253 The Court House 10.1.53 II House. C15-C16 and c1840, on site of Manor of the Bishops of Salisbury. Rendered brick with slate roof, extended to north with flint and brick chequerwork on one bay, separately roofed. Two storeys, main block of 4 bays c1840 added to parallel earlier block built probably after demolition of manor between 1535-1539. Front block has shaped gable over two central bays, disguising chimneys. Entrance in second bay, a 6-panelled door in porch formed of rusticated stone gate piers and semi-circular canopy with stepped keyblock. Twelve-paned sashes, but tripartite to first bay on both floors. Rear elevation symmetrical, C18, of 5 bays with central raised entrance and 12-paned sash windows. Tiled roof. Internally, earlier work now largely hidden, but cusped blind trefoiled arch of medieval date and rose boss reset in walls. Drawing room has eared architrave to fireplace and mid C18 cornice.

Listing NGR: SU1262135318

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
321568
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/10313/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].