CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1284449
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284449.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:03:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Weybread
National Grid Reference:
TM 24102 80117

Details

WEYBREAD CHURCH ROAD TM 28 SW 1/128 Church of St. Andrew - 29.7.55 GV II*

Parish church. Medieval; considerably restored 1865-6. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch, north vestry. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Slated roof to nave, the other roofs clad in lead and copper. Round tower, perhaps C12, with a C14 belfry stage containing 4 cinquefoil-headed openings with matching flushwork panels between. Flat parapet. Nave probably C14, with C15 4-bay clerestorey. C15 3-bay aisles, the windows largely renewed. C15 knapped flint porch with panelled flushwork to the facade and plinth. Moulded entrance arch, the spandrels carved with angels bearing shields; above the entrance a canopied niche containing a C19 figure. Original porch roof. C15 moulded nave doorway. C14 chancel with much C19 renewal. Interior. 3-bay aisle arcades. The restoration of 1865-6 included a new arched-braced nave roof with stone corbels of prophets at the foot of the wall posts; substantial renewal of the aisle and chancel roofs; new poppyhead benches and matching stalls. 2 C14 piscinas, the one in the sanctuary much restored. Cusped niches to each side of the chancel arch. In the south aisle is the shaft and the lower half of the bowl of a C15 font, with panelled decoration.

Listing NGR: TM2410280117

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
280077
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2005
Reference: IOE01/14130/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Skeate. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].