CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1284593
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284593.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:02:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Wetheringsett-cum-Brockford
National Grid Reference:
TM 12732 66845

Details

WETHERINGSETT-CUM-BROCKFORD CHURCH STREET TM 16 NW 3/119 Church of All Saints 29.7.55

GV I Parish church. Medieval, restored 1850's. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower, south porch, north vestry (formerly a chapel). Flint rubble with stone dressings. Slated roofs to nave and chancel, the aisle roofs leaded. Good C15 square tower: 4-stage angle buttresses with chequer flushwork, the 4 against the west corner containing empty cusped image niches. Plain embattled parapet. West face has large open arch with continuous mouldings and mask label stops. Above is an image niche with cusped ogee head. Small trefoil- headed windows at ringing chamber level. 2-light belfry openings. West end of nave has good moulded doorway with mask label stops. Cusped niche above. C13 4-bay aisles with much-renewed 3-light Perpendicular-style windows; south aisle has C14 west window with reticulated tracery. Both aisles retain C13 doorways, each with one order of colonnettes and a moulded 2-centred arch. South doorway has repaired medieval door. C15 porch, faced in knapped flint; flushwork-panelled parapet with square corner pinnacles and central gable. Much-renewed moulded entrance arch, enriched with crowns and shields, with a coat of arms at the apex; fleuron-enriched hoodmould on lion corbels. Original arched-braced roof, the main components moulded. Late C15 clerestorey with a range of 8 closely-set 3-light windows with buttresses between; the windows are shafted internally. Chancel much restored: Perpendicular-style windows of 2 lights to sides and 4 lights to east; moulded Priest's doorway. Interior. C13 4-bay arcades and chancel arch. 8-bay nave roof renewed 1828: flat embattled tie beams with pierced panelling above; pierced braces from tie beams to shafted wallposts. Panelled chancel ceiling of 1850's. Aisle roofs probably C15 but considerably restored. Stairs to rood loft (south east nave) and parclose loft (south aisle). Much renewed C13 triple sedilia has enriched trefoil arches and Purbeck marble shafts; flanking mask corbels, one probably original. In vestry, much mutilated remains of an unusual double angle piscina with leaf ornament, probably C13. Octagonal font bowl, said to be of c.1660, the panels simply carved, mainly with shields. Older base, perhaps C13, with 8 engaged shafts. Poppyhead benches, some with C15 ends, the majority C19. 2 C15 misericords in sanctuary. Other furnishings mid-late C19. Several C17-C18 ledger slabs, especially to members of the Sheppard family.

Listing NGR: TM1273266845

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
281704
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07566/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].