CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1284661
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284661.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:10:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Wheatley
National Grid Reference:
SP 59696 05790

Details

In the entry for;

SP 5905 WHEATLEY CHURCH ROAD (north side)

7/193 Church of St Mary 18.7.63 GV II

the grade shall be amended to read; II* (star)

------------------------------------

WHEATLEY CHURCH ROAD SP5905 (North side) 7/193 Church of St. Mary 18/07/63

GV II

Church. 1855-7 by G.E. Street. Coursed squared limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. 3-bay aisled nave, chancel with 2-bay north aisle, west tower and south porch. C13 style. Chancel and aisles have grouped lancets separated by buttresses with cusped circular windows over the lancets at the ends of the south aisle. South porch, built 1887, has an outer arch in Decorated style. West tower, completed by Street in 1868, has a broach spire with tall 2-light belfry openings in the gables and lucarnes on the angles. West doorway of 3 chamfered orders below a 3-light window with plate tracery. Interior: Very plain with arch-braced collar-truss roofs, except chancel which has a wagon roof and carved capitals to aisle and east window. Stained glass of 1875 in east widow. C19 fittings. (V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p,115; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.837-8).

Listing NGR: SP5969605790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
246960
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 837-8
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 115

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/09374/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pauline Roenisch. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].