SWINFORD BRIDGE (THAT PART IN CUMNOR)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1284764
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
SWINFORD BRIDGE (THAT PART IN CUMNOR), OXFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWINFORD BRIDGE (THAT PART IN CUMNOR)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284764.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 19:15:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
SWINFORD BRIDGE (THAT PART IN CUMNOR), OXFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
Cumnor
National Grid Reference:
SP 44307 08608

Details

CUMNOR OXFORD ROAD SP40NW (East side) Swinford 2/55 Swinford Bridge (that part in 09/02/66 Cumnor C.P.) (Formerly listed as Swinford Bridge) GV II* Bridge. 1767 for Earl of Abingdon, possibly by Sir Robert Taylor. Limestone. Centre 3 bays of ashlar with long raised voussoirs to arches and raised quoins: modillion cornice beneath balustraded parapet: broached cutwaters between each archway. Outer bays of coursed and dressed limestone with round arches, plain string course and ashlar parapet. (E. de Villiers, Swinford Bridge, 1767-1969, 1969).

Listing NGR: SP4430708608

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249730
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
De Villiers, E, Swinford Bridge 1769-1969, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11043/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs A H Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].