CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1284841
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1959
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1284841.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:33:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lea and Cleverton
National Grid Reference:
ST 96720 87830

Details

ST 98 NE LEA & CLEVERTON GARSDON

6/101 Church of All Saints

28.10.59

II

Anglican Parish Church. Early C15 (tower), the remainder of 1856 by Coe & Goodwin. Squared and coursed rubble with stone dressings, ashlar buttresses and copings, Welsh slate roofs. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch. Two-stage tower with diagonal buttresses with set-offs to first stage string course, north-east corner stair turret and pierced trefoil parapet with gargoyles below. West face has a 3-light C15 window under pointed head to first stage with beast stops to hoodmould: pig to left: single opening above. Two-trefoil-cusped-light bell opening with pierced louvres to all faces. Four-bay nave with 3-light C15 style windows under pointed heads and buttresses between. Two-bay chancel of similar windows; 3-light east window with face stops to hoodmould Gabled south porch with pointed-arched entrance and inner 2-leaf plank door. Interior: open rafter roofs to nave and chancel; 2-bay north arcade to vestry. Fittings: C19 Perpendicular style wooden pulpit and octagonal stone font; wall monument to Sir Laurence Washington of 1643 on chancel north wall: oval inscription panel surrounded by a wreath and barleysugar columns supporting an open segmental pediment with 2 allegorical figures. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)

Listing NGR: ST9672087830

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
315723
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04316/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Robert Slade. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].