CHURCH OF ST CHRISTOPHER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1285201
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHRISTOPHER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHRISTOPHER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285201.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:40:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHRISTOPHER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Box
National Grid Reference:
ST 81802 69516

Details

ST 86 NW BOX DITTERIDGE

2/126 Church of St. Christopher

20 12 60

GV I

Anglican Parish Church, c1100, chancel C13, south porch C14, C15 alterations and 1860 restoration by E.W.Godwin. Rubble stone with stone tiled roofs, coped gables, cross finials to east and west ends and rebuilt gabled bellcote at nave east end. Nave and chancel, nave with C20 north vestry addition and south porch. Nave c1100: C15 2-light west window with flat-head and hoodmould, one C15 north window east of vestry, east end buttresses each side and south side pair of Cl9 small cusped pointed lights, south porch, small c1100 arched-head light and 2-light C14 Decorated window with hoodmould. Dripcourse under C19 window. C14 coped- gabled south porch with roof raised in C19 at north end to accommodate door surround. Two-chamfer arch with hoodmould and 2 side buttresses. Stone seats within and 2 original arch-braced collar rafter trusses. Fine c1100 south doorway with carved animal imposts and carved head corbels to arched tympanum with frieze of 10 lyre or acanthus type motifs around. Cl9 frame of unmoulded columns, imposts and arch and Cl9 studded plank door. Chancel has 2 C15 south side flat-head windows with hoodmoulds flanking low C14 priest's door with hoodmould and C19 east window of 2 lancets with column shaft between and plate tracery cinquefoil over. Pointed stepped hoodmould. Interior: C19 arched-braced collar rafter roofs. Nave south wall lined in ashlar. Pointed segmental arched north doorway. North side rood stair. Two low C14 Decorated recesses in south wall. Circa 1100 chancel opening, arch raised in C13 with 2-chamfer pointed arch on half-octagonal corbels. Chancel with Cl9 ashlar lining to north and east walls, C13 south wall piscina with rose motif around drain. Circular Norman font with roll motif decoration. High Victorian banded stone pulpit in 2 colours with incised decoration. Stained glass of c1860 to chancel, east window by Bell of Bristol, faded and 2 south windows. Circa 1860 windows to nave north and south, faded, and west window c1864. Numerous reset C17 and C18 plaques, 2 on north wall of c1700 and c1748 in carved frames. (Pevsner: Wiltshire (1975) 220.)

Listing NGR: ST8179769519

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316988
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 220

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00076/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kim Aplin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].