CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1285359
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHINNOR ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285359.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 02:08:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHINNOR ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Crowell
National Grid Reference:
SU 74401 99692

Details

CROWELL CHINNOR ROAD SU7499 (South side) 20/76 Church of St. Mary 18/07/63

GV II

Church. c.1878, incorporating some earlier work. By H.J. Tollit of Oxford and Edwin Dolby of London. Knapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; stone bellcote. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel, with vestry. Porch to left of nave with 2-centred archway and gabled old plain-tile roof; C13 two-centre arched doorway with hood mould, having C19 plank door. 3-light reticulated tracery window to nave right. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to chancel. Rear: Romanesque round-arched doorway with moulded imposts and hood mould, having plank door, to centre of nave. 3-light reticulated tracery window to right. Catslide roof to vestry to left. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to chancel. East end: 3-light reticulated tracery window. West end. 2-light reticulated tracery window, stone bellcote to gable apex. Interior: wood barrel-vault roof to chancel; arch-braced collar-truss roof to nave. East window c.1870 by Kempe. C19 stone carved reredos. Sedilia formed from lancet tracery. C13 brass reset to left wall of chancel. C19 stone font. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.560-1; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, 1964, p.89-90).

Listing NGR: SU7440199692

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
249090
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 560-561
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1964), 89-90

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07326/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Dale Venn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].