CULHAM MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1285637
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1963
Statutory Address:
CULHAM MANOR, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CULHAM MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285637.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:03:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CULHAM MANOR, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Culham
National Grid Reference:
SU 50177 94908

Details

CULHAM THE GREEN SU5094 (South side) 12/38 Culham Manor 18/07/63

GV II*



Manor house. C15, north front rebuilt c.1610, restored and altered mid C20. Roughcast, probably on stone rubble, with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; brick ridge stack to left of centre, stone end stack to left, brick ridge stack to cross-wing to rear. L-plan, possibly former hall-house with cross wing, remodelled to E-plan front, later truncated. 2-storey, 3-window range of single-bay centre with flanking projecting cross-gabled wings. C17 plank door to recessed porch to left with Jacobean stone archway having decorative frieze. Flanking 2-light stone mullion windows to centre and right are 4-light stone mullion windows with hood moulds and leaded lights. 4-light stone mullion and transom windows with hood moulds and leaded lights to first floor. Coped cross-gables to left and right with obelisk finials. Right return: uncoursed stone rubble to ground floor; large timber framing with angle braces and rendered infill to first floor. 2-storey, 7-window range. Plank door to left of centre. Irregular fenestration of mostly C20 wood mullioned windows with leaded lights. Rear: uncoursed stone rubble to ground floor of cross-wing and to rear of main block; large timber framing with angle braces to first floor of cross-wing and to cross-gable at right of main block. Irregular fenestration of mostly C20 wood mullioned windows with leaded lights. Interior: straight flight stairs with solid wood steps in cross-wing. C18 straight flight staircase to main block removed from a house in Worcester. King post roof with windbraces partly visible in cross-wing. Cl6 linen-fold panelling to cross-wing bedroom. Massive stone 3-centre arched fireplace to ground floor of cross-wing. Most of the other internal features, including fireplaces, panelling, plasterwork, and an extensive collection of Flemish stained glass were probably brought in during the mid C20 restoration for Sir Esmond Ovey. History: originally the medieval grange of the Aboots of Abingdon. Refronted c.1610 by Thomas Bury. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.565-6; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.7, 1962, p.29; Country Life, Vol.108, 1950, July 14th, p.130-134 and July 21st p.210-214).

Listing NGR: SU5017794908

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
248823
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 565-6
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1962), 29
'Country Life' in 14 July, , Vol. 108, (1950), 130-34
'Country Life' in 21 July, (1950), 210-214

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16956/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs A H Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].