CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285712.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:26:53.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, THE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Babergh (District Authority)
- Capel St. Mary
- National Grid Reference:
- TM 08583 38242
TM 03 NE CAPEL ST MARY THE STREET (NORTH SIDE)
22.2.55 Church of St Mary
Parish Church. C13/C14 chancel, C15 nave, south porch, south aisle and west tower of possibly earlier origin. C19 restorations. Flint, rubble, red brick and Roman brick. Stone and red brick dressings. Formerly rendered, much of the rendering remains. Red plain tiled roofs. Stone parapet verges to chancel and nave with cross finials to gable apices. Chancel:- Buttresses to east wall angles, centre of north and south walls and north western angle. C15 east window of 4 cinquefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery over, 4-centred head, label with head stops. Two windows to north wall, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights, trefoils over, 2-centred heads, labels with head stops. Two windows to south wall, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights, tracery over, 2-centred heads, label with gargoyle stops to western window, label with head stops to east window. Door between windows, 2-centred head and label decorated with flowers, head stops to label. Nave north wall:- Central and western buttresses. 3 windows of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery over, moulded 4-centred heads. Moulded labels. There is a red brick, blocked, segmental headed doorway east of these windows with traces of herringbone brickwork adjacent. The north doorway, between the central and western windows has a 2-centred head of 2 chamfered orders, door of 6 overlapping battens, 2 strap hinges. South aisle:- South wall, buttressed at angles and between central and eastern windows. These 2 windows each of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights, vertical tracery over, moulded 4-centred heads and labels, there are similar windows to east and west walls. The western, C19 window of 2 cinquefoiled lights, 2-centred head and label. Red brick parapet, moulded band below. South porch:- buttress at southern angles. Round head to outer arch, square label with quatrefoils to spandrels, the arch stop chamfered and with carved flowers, attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. A window each to east and west walls of 2 cinquefoiled lights, segmental heads, moulded labels. West Tower:- Of 3 stages, buttressed to western angles, stair turret to second stage of south east angle, with quatrefoil and slit lights. Formerly with a spire which was dismantled circa 1818. Plastered parapet. Bands over each stage. Each face of the bell chamber has a louvred window of 2 trefoiled lights, pointed segmental heads, labels over. North and west faces of second stage each have a small, much worn trefoiled light, clock to south face. West window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, vertical tracery, segmental head; label with monkey headstops, restored. flint and stone panels to plinth. South porch:- Roof of 2 bays, moulded ridge board, side purlins and principle rafters. Moulded and crenellated wall plates, to all sides: Keyblocks to centre of east and west wall plates. Moulded arched braces to north and south. Red tiled floor. Chancel:- "Cradle" roof of 5 bays, possibly late C14 early C15, the roof is coved from wall plates to side purlins and side purlins to ridge board and boarded between the rafters. Moulded wall plates, side purlins, ridge board and rafters. There are 5 carved angels with musical instruments to each side of the roof, circa 1912, and shields to wall plates below each angel. C19 stained glass to windows. C19 coloured tiles to sanctuary floor. Wooden parquet flooring to chancel. Carved and painted (blue, grey and gilt) reredos of 3 panels, canopy over central panel, enriched parapet, bosses to cornice. Blue shafts with capitals and bases to each panel, crocketted heads, gilt diapering. Square piscina in south wall. C19 carved wood altar rails. 2 early C19 oval wall plaques to the Tweed family to north wall. 2 C18 rectangular memorials, south west wall, to Hingeston Family. C19 choir stalls and panelling. C19 carved and traceried rood beam. Chamfered 2-centred chancel arch. Nave:- C15 roof of 8 bays, hammer beam type, moulded wall plates with shields. Arched bracs to collars rest on the hammer beams, moulded double side purlins and king post to moulded ridge board. Carved spandrels to wall post braces, shields under. C19 coloured tiled floor. C18 octagonal pulpit with sounding board over. An organ blocks the west tower arch. South arcade of 4 bays, octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases, 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders. South aisle, lean-to roof of 4 bays, moulded wall plates, moulded principal and alternate tie beams. Shields to wall plates, moulded principal and alternate tie beams. shields to wall plates. Moulded arched braces to tie beams. C19 stained glass to windows. Vertically boarded south wall dado. South wall memorial to Press Family 1807. C19/C20 font, octagonal, moulded rim and soffit to bowl, moulded capital and base to stem. Traces of painting on wall of south aisle. West tower arch plastered round head and simple jambs.
Listing NGR: TM0858238244
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing