CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1285738.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:01:44.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 66278 46827
SK 64 NE LOWDHAM CHURCH LANE
9/124 Church of St. Mary
Parish Church. C13, C14, C15, 1821 restored by Scott 1860, spire repaired 1883, chancel restored 1890. Ashlar. Slate roofs. Embattled parapets to all but the aisles, porch and vestry which have coped gables. Tower with spire, nave, aisles, south porch, north vestry and chancel. Buttressed. Early C13 tower set on a plinth with moulded band over, of 3 stages with bands and topped with a C15 spire. Large diagonal buttresses the south inscribed "Erected MDCCCXXI", with stair turret to the south east. Single central gargoyle to each side. West side with C13 lancet. South side on 2nd stage has a single opening with 2 pointed arched lights and single central restored attached column with moulded capital. West, east and south bell chamber openings each with 2 round arched lights and single central attached column with moulded capital. The north side has a single pair of C19 rectangular openings. Stair turret with 3 narrow arched openings in the re-entrant angle. The north aisle is set on a moulded plinth, the west wall has a single arched C14 2-light window with cusped tracery, hoodmould and human head label stop to the left. The north wall has a moulded arched doorway with hoodmould and worn human head label stops. To the left are 2 similar C14 windows with hoodmoulds and human head label stops. Clerestory has 3 C14 arched windows each with 3 cinquefoil archedlights. to the left of the aisle and set back is the C19 vestry with 2 pairs of Caernarvon arched lights. the east wall has a single pair of pointed arched lights. The chancel is set on a shallow chamfered plinth and has a continuous sill band. The north wall has a single pointed arched window with Y-tracery and C19 hoodmould. Diagonally buttressed east end with single arched window with 4 pointed arched lights, tracery, C19 hoodmould and label stops. The south chancel has 2 windows each corresponding to that of the north chancel. To the left is a moulded pointed arched doorway. The east wall has a single early C14 window similar to that of the east chancel with hoodmould and worn human head label stops. The south wall has 2 pointed arched C14 windows each with 2 arched lights, cusped tracery, hoodmould and human head label stops. To the left is the porch with moulded arched entrance supported each side on 2 engaged colonnettes with restored moulded capitals. C17 double wooden gate with panels decorated with strap and fret work and topped with small decorative iron spikes. In each side wall is a single arched small light. Inner C13 moulded arched doorway supported on engaged colonnettes and moulded capitals with C17 door. To the left is a single similar C14 window with hoodmould and human label stops. With single similar restored C14 window in the west wall with hoodmould and human head label stops. Clerestory corresponds to north. Interior. 3 bay C13 nave arcades. Double chamfered arches supported on quatrefoil piers and reponds with fillets which extend into the moulded capitals. Wide circular bases. Tall pointed arched uncut tower arch. Double chamfered chancel arch supported on octagonal responds, with moulded capitals and continuous imposts. Chancel/vestry 2 bay double chamfered arches supported on single circular column and responds with moulded capitals. Restored and blocked chamfered arched piscina with broach stops in the south chancel. In the north chancel wall is an aumbry with remains of a piscina. The south wall of the south aisle has an arched piscina and the north wall of the north aisle a small piscina. Evidence of former nave roof on tower wall. Continuous sill band to south aisle. Early C14 octagonal font supported on piers, each side of the font decorated with a single crocketed gable with finial and supported on single carved human and animal heads. C17 table in south aisle with large turned legs, remaining furnishings C19. Set into the south chancel wall is an early C16 incised slab of a priest. In the north wall is a row of 4 C17 slate tablets to Charles Broughton, that on the left decorated with a shield, the 2 tablets to the right with inscriptions and that on the far right with damaged alabaster skull and cross bones. The east wall has a monument to Petri Broughton, 1694. This has an alabaster surround to the slate tablet and is surmounted by a decorative shield. There is a reclining cross legged effigy of Sir John de Lowdham, 1318, clad in chain mail with head on a pillow supported by 2 angels and feet on a dog. In the chancel is a C18 floor slab.
Listing NGR: SK6627746827
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing