Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286134.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 22:50:50.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Nuneham Courtenay
National Grid Reference:
SU 54154 98261


NUNEHAM COURTENAY NUNEHAN PARK SU5498 12/84 Church of All Saints 18/07/63 GV II*

Church. 1764 by the 1st Earl Harcourt assisted by James Stuart. Limestone ashlar with a copper-covered dome. Rectangular plan with projections to all sides. Principal (north) front has a projecting hexastyle Ionic portico flanked by Diocletian windows; the heavy dentil cornice to the entablature breaks into a triangular pediment over the portico. Within the portico is a blind doorway between blind arches. The south front is similarly pedimented but the projection is enclosed and has a central arched doorway with fine wrought-iron gates. The east and west projections are lower and semi-circular with half domes, that to the west forming an entrance porch with Ionic columns. The drum of the main dome rises from a rectangular base and has a deep entablature above 4 Diocletian windows. On the east wall is a large memorial to Reverend Dr. Byron Eaton (died 1703) with a bust, on a carved and panelled base, framed by Corinthian columns supporting an open segmental pediment with cherubs and a central cartouche. The monument was saved from the earlier church. Interior: a central rotunda between 2 rectangular spaces, linked by eliptical arches. The rotunda is surrounded by niches and has an arched opening to a small baptistery on the south. The sanctuary has an apsidal recess behind the altar. Walls have moulded plaster panels containing texts. Fittings introduced in 1880 include elaborate stalls in C16 Italian style, with panelled backs divided by Corinthian columns, which line the walls, a matching communion table, and a communion rail with 4 gilt C17 Italian angels. C17/C18 carved wooden lectern. Gadrooned font of 1843 has an Italian Baroque cover with hinged doors. 2 chests with very fine lock mechanisms. Four C19 hatchments. 3 tapestries including C17 Flemish "The Tribes of Israel". Various relics from the funeral of Edward VII. Harcourt monuments include four C19 busts, a full length effigy, a child's effigy and a fine framed marble portrait, plus several C18 and C19 wall tablets. The church was intended as a temple in the Classical landscape formed by the 1st Earl. It is said to echo the entrance front of Chiswick house. The mason was John Hooper and the cost £552 12s 1/4d. The church is now redundant. (Nuneham Park is included in the HBMC County Register of Gardens at Grade I; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.V, p.247; BUildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.725; G. Worsley "Nuneham Park Revisited II", Country Life Vol.177, 1985, p.64).

Listing NGR: SU5415498261


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 725
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Oxford, (1957), 247
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 177, (1985), 64
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/06491/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs A H Jacobs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].