CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1286148
Date first listed:
22-Aug-1966
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, VILLAGE CENTRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286148.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:25:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, VILLAGE CENTRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
East Kennett
National Grid Reference:
SU 11725 67455

Details

EAST KENNETT VILLAGE CENTRE SU 16 NW (north side) 5/149 Christ Church 22.8.66

II

Anglican parish church. 1863-4, by Gane of Trowbridge. Diaper flint and sarsen with limestone buttresses and dressings. Twentieth century tiled roof, but C19 tiles to porch. Nave and chancel, with lateral tower on north. Lancet windows, 3-light cusped east window, wheel headed west window. Buttresses have nailhead decoration around top offset. Two stage tower with north- west angle stair and short spire with triangular pinnacles on angles. Two-light bell openings with colonnettes and ball flower decoration to outer arches. Lombardic corbel table with corner colonnettes and dog-tooth eaves. Porch has four-light openings along sides and an open roof. Interior: Nave of 5 roof bays. Plain ashlar walls and arched braced collar trusses on Corinthian corbels. Chancel arch with arris rolls on similar carved corbels with knotted tails to bottom of short shafts. Hoodmouldings also have carved terminals. Chancel has scissor rafters and archbraces, and pierced frieze above wall plate. Heavy carved cornice below east window. Fittings: All C19. Font, at west end. Octagonal with sunk quatrefoiled panels. Pulpit, oak with half-octagonal carved front. Choir stalls with desk on columns. Altar rail and table altar. Monuments: In chancel, two fine early C18 wall monuments, white, grey and coloured marbles. On north side: 1716, a panel set forward with broken pediment and large bust wearing a cap against a grey marble pyramid. Flanking half urns. Fluted brackets below with putti and shield. To Charles Tooker of East Kennett, erected by Ann Saunders of Mingwel. South side: A white tablet with triangular pediment and supporting scrolls. Draped urn over and roundel with head in profile in apex of grey marble pyramid. Shield between brackets below. To Ann Tooker, died 1707. Nave: North side. Wall monument, C18. White marbles. Convex central panel with cornice and base between side panels. Arms in baroque frame over, between urns. Fluted apron, drapes and flanking putti below. To Sir Charles Tooker, died 1700. Tablet, mid C19, white marble on slate. Tapered panel between pilasters and gabled top. To Richard Mathews, died 1849, and a marble Great War memorial. On south side: Wall tablet, C19. White marble on slate. Panel between pilasters. Draped urn over, to Richard Mathews, died 1842 and descendants to 1882. Also a limestone tablet to Richard Vigers, died 1947 and wife. At west end end: Two tablets, C19. White marble scrolls on black field. Left: to John Mathews of Spean, died 1879, and wife. Right: Elizabeth Fisher of Winterbourne, Newbury, died 1863, and husband. Centre: A painted metal commandments board. Over south door, a framed Royal Arms on canvas, dated 1781. (Pevsner: Buildings of England: Wiltshire; Victoria County History)

Listing NGR: SU1172567455

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
311570
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1963)
Pugh, RB, Crittall, E, The Victoria History of the County of Wiltshire, (1975)
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/155762

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00118/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.J.W. Heath. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].