This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1286673



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stanwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232427

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


RAUNDS RAUNDS ROAD SP97SE (North side) Stanwick 5/125 The Old Rectory 26/04/50 (Formerly listed as Stanwick Rectory) GV II*

Rectory, now house. Datestone 1717 refers to rebuilding by Sir James Burrough for Peter Needham, probably partially remodelled C19. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar facade and felted and battened roof at time of inspection. Double depth plan. 2 storeys with attic. Main front of 5-window range. Central boarded door has moulded stone architrave and flight of steps. Sash windows with glazing bars also have moulded stone architraves. Raised string course between floors and moulded stone cornice. Hipped roof with stone stacks. Elevation to left has long arch-head stair window, with glazing bars. Rear elevation, also of 5-window range of sash windows with glazing bars, under stone lintels, was probably remodelled mid C19. Central ashlar porch with panelled door has datestone. Interior not inspected but noted from photographs as having C18 staircase with 3 turned balusters per tread and fielded panelled rooms. Rebuilt in 1717 at a cost of £1,000. The previous rectory was home of William Dolbens. (V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.4, p.51; N.M.R.: Photographic collection).

Listing NGR: SP9793571469

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 51

National Grid Reference: SP 97935 71469


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 08:00:53.

End of official listing