CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1286688
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CORNHILL EC3

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286688.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2019 at 04:40:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CORNHILL EC3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 32951 81101

Details

CORNHILL EC3 1. 5002 (South Side) Church of St Michael TQ 3281 SE 10/312 4.1.50.

I

2. 1670 to 77, by Wren. Tower 1715 to 21 by Hawksmoor. Remodelled and refitted circa 1860 by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Aisled body with arcades on Doric columns. Plaster vaults. Circular clerestory windows and circular top lights to aisles. West tower, open to church, with vestibule to south and porch, entirely by Scott, to north. Most of exterior is obscured by adjoining buildings. South side of nave of Portland stone with 4 round arched windows filled with C19 tracery. Clerestory rendered with wooden cornice. Tower in gothic style of Portland stone, in 4 main stages. Polygonal turrets with ogee caps. Very rich gothic porch of Portland stone with shafts of polished pink granite to archway and much carving. 1st World War memorial, by Richard Goulden, attached to north-west corner. Small bronze group on narrow stone pedestal. Interior owes nearly as much to Scott as to Wren. Venetian renaissance tracery to windows with fine stained glass. Circular east window above reredos of coloured marble incorporating C17 paintings of Moses and Aaron. Altar rails, tiled pavement to choir, elaborate pulpit and lectern, pews etc all mid C19. C17 marble font on new base and carving of pelican. Good wall memorials.



Listing NGR: TQ3295081099

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199400
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/77282
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/111957
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/111954
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/111956
War Memorials Online, accessed 30 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/111952
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/11652
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/11653
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/47728
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/11655

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].