CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1286817
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, GLENTHORNE ROAD W6

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 19:13:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, GLENTHORNE ROAD W6

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Hammersmith and Fulham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 22975 78790

Details

TQ 2278 GLENTHORNE ROAD W6

6/11

17.6.54 Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II*

Church. 1857-9. William Butterfield, with south chapel of 1898 by J F Bentley. Yellow brick with bands and patterns of red brick. Some stone. Tiled slate roof. Lofty town church with aisled nave of 4½ bays, lower chancel and south west tower with saddleback roof and entrance under. N annex early English/Geometrical style. Fine interior. Multicoloured brickwork above pointed arcades. Circular piers. Fine cusped roof. Reredos of coloured marble. tiles and mastic inlay,fine stone font, timber pulpit, and candelabra etc by Butterfield. Butterfield ironwork to doors. Stained glass to aisle windows by Alexander Gibbs, 1863-73,with Kempe glass to south east chapel. Altar rails to south east chapel by Bently and also organ case, litany desk, cross, candlesticks etc.

Listing NGR: TQ2297578790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
201797
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Jan 2007
Reference: IOE01/16054/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Matthew Bruce. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].