CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1286821
Date first listed:
11-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST OSWALD, RECTORY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286821.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 18:49:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY AND ST OSWALD, RECTORY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Doncaster (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Finningley
National Grid Reference:
SK 66953 99138

Details

SK69NE FINNINGLEY RECTORY LANE (west end) 8/64 Church of the Holy - Trinity and St. Oswald - I Church. Late C11, C12, C14 and C15; restored 1885 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Rubble stone, Welsh slate roof. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch and north aisle; 3-bay chancel. Tower: late Cll; 3 stages. Quoins, chamfered plinth; west side has round-headed and rectangular slit windows. String course beneath louvred belfry openings of 2 round-headed lights divided by shafts with block capitals set in round-arched recesses. Offset string course beneath embattled ashlar parapet. Nave: plinth, quoins. Gabled C19 south porch with wooden Tudor-arched entrance and inner side walls incorporating medieval cross slabs. Unrestored C12 south door with shafted jambs, damaged carved capitals and roll-moulded arch with hoodmould. On left of porch is a restored, square-headed 1-light Perpendicular window; on right are 2 restored 2-light windows with ogee lights and square heads. C15 north aisle, unrestored and of larger rabble: lower quoins of blocked north door; square-headed windows of 2 and 3 cusped lights in hollow-chamfered surrounds; string course with gargoyle beneath parapet with moulded copings. Chancel: early C14; small priests' door with chamfered, pointed arch and hoodmould; two, pointed 2-light windows on right have quatrefoils and hoodmoulds. Offset diagonal buttresses flank cusped 3-light east window with wheel- traceried heady east gable copings with cross. North chancel window as south; continuation of aisle has plain square-headed 3-light window and Tudor-arched 3-light window with hoodmould. Interior: low C12 tower arch with chamfer, impost band and hoodmould. North arcade has octagonal piers with moulded capitals to double-chamfered arches; round-arched head to blocked north door. Outstanding nave roof of 5 bays with arch braces rising from short posts to moulded tie beans having rosettes in the mould and bosses beneath king posts; carved quadrant braces from tie beams to king pasts have carved rosettes and cusping; brattished wall plate, butt purlins with hollow-chamfered arrises, longitudinal braces from king post to ridge. Chancel arch: and trefoiled responds to a cavetto-moulded, pointed arch with hoodmould; string course runs around east end and forms hoodmould to 3-seat sedilia, piscina recess and priests' door. Chancel roof: moulding to arch-braced principal rafters with braces to ridge from spandrel pieces; various repainted floral bosses; masks on the wallplates. Font: plain round tub on 2-step plinth; Jacobean wooden cover. Pulpit: hexagonal; oak-panelled with moulded cornice and date '1604/Thomas Partrik'. Monuments: on north aisle wall in ogee recess to John Harvey (d.1835) below it a brass records the restoration of 1885. Marble wall monument to north of chancel east window to Edmund Harvey (d.1823: erected 1828 by John Harvey) has cherub beneath corniced panel with side scrolls and cartouche over.

Listing NGR: SK6695299137

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
334765
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/05437/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Eggleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].