CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1286900
Date first listed:
25-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BLACK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1286900.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 20:08:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, BLACK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Barnsley (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Tankersley
National Grid Reference:
SK 34950 99586

Details

TANKERSLEY BLACK LANE SK39NW 4/59 Church of St. Peter 25.4.69 GV II* Church. C14 and C15, north aisle wall rebuilt 1881. Ashlar sandstone, rubble walling to chancel; nave roof not visible, C19 tiles to chancel. West tower, 3-bay nave with north aisle and south porch, 2-bay chancel with north organ chamber and vestry. Decorated; reticulated tracery. Tower: chamfered plinth, north-east vice in the form of a large buttress. 1881 datestone beneath 3-light west window with hoodmould. Round-headed slit windows beneath louvred 2-light belfry openings with rounded arches; square-headed belfry window on west. String course beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: chamfered plinth. Rebuilt south porch has iron gates by Lutyens, 1901 (Brinknam p15), in quadrant-moulded ogee arch; gable copings with cross. Porch within has cavetto- moulded south door and medieval stones in side walls. Flanking 3-light windows have restored tracery and hoodmoulds. Sundial dated 1789 at south-west corner. Three C16-C17 two-light mullioned windows (that on right altered) beneath string course and embattled parapet. Rebuilt north wall with square-headed windows having cusped ogee lights, clerestorey with two 3-light windows, parapets as south. Chancel: blocked ogee-arched priest's door flanked by 2-light windows with quadrant-moulded surrounds to ogee lights beneath square head. C19 organ chamber has buttresses flanking plate tracery window beneath gable; lean-to vestry. C14 east window of 3 lights has head-carved hoodmould beneath gable with shaped kneelers, copings and cross.

Interior: tall double-chamfered tower arch. North aisle has broach-stopped bases to cylindrical piers with moulded capitals (1 round, 1 octagonal); eastern respond with restored (?) waterleaf decoration; double-chamfered arches. Tall, pointed and double-chamfered chancel arch on moulded brackets. Pointed-arched rood-stair door. C19 roofs and fittings. Monuments: cross slab with book and chalice to Thomas Toytyll (d1482) - near priest's door; other incised slabs include one to Richard Worteley (d1435). Eastern window on south side of nave probably by Morris and Co. in the style of Burne-Jones is in memory of Ellen Walker(d1879).

S. Brinkman, The Parish and Church of St. Peter, Tankersley, in the Diocese of Sheffield, 1983.

Listing NGR: SK3495099586

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
333935
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brinkman, S, The Parish and Church of St Peter Tankersley in the Diocese of Sheffield, (1983), 15

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12573/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jean Bickerstaffe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].