This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1287121



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Cheshire West and Chester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Weaverham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403174

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WEAVERHAM C.P. GRANGE LANE SJ 67 SW (North Side) 4/63 Hefferston Grange (part of the Grange Hospital) - GV II*

Formerly a country house, later a hospital, now disused: dated 1741 for P H Warburton but incorporating parts of a house of c.1700, with extensions and alterations,dated 1876 on porch,for Robert Heath. Flemish bond orange brick with washed stone dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof with red coating, brick chimneys. Rectangular block. 2-storey symmetrical 7-bay east entrance front. Moulded stone plinth, banded rusticated quoins of equal length, moulded cornice and a low blocking course. End pairs of bays step forward slightly, and have recessed 12-pane sashes with slender glazing bars under flat gauged and rubbed brick heads with stone keyblocks. Similar windows to central bays. Moulded architrave and segmental pediment above pulvinated frieze of Tudor roses, contains a shouldered doorcase with carved keyblock and a half-glazed door. Good dated rain hoppers. South front has 2-storey canted bay at right end and a mixture of sashes and deep casements. 2-bay early C19 wrought iron balcony with swags overlying elliptical panels. Front is continued to the left by a late C19 cast-iron conservatory with semi-circular end, but with the walls, filled and rendered. North side has inserted stone porch with ornate semi-circular entrance arch. Interior: original entry into a rectangular hall with a shouldered architrave and a pulvinated frieze to the central fireplace. Much of the original plaster wall panelling survives and 2 pedimented doorcases. Modillion cornice and bold geometric patterns in the ceiling. Room to right has some fielded panelling and a lozenge in the ceiling. To the left is a fine mahogany well staircase with turned column balusters, fluted column newels, ramped moulded handrail, and fielded panelled dado. Fielded painted panelling in the remainder of the well and a ceiling with Rococo centre above. Main room upstairs of 3 bays has a good coved ceiling with a modillion cornice. In the saloon, the coving are classical medallions and crossed cornucopiae. Centre has Rococo scrollwork and open shells at the corner. Nice semi-circular headed cupboard with glazed door and white marble fireplace of Westmacott type. Room panelled throughout though overlain. Also upstairs is a gallery with twisted balusters and 2 rooms and corridor with bolection moulded panelling and simple stone fireplaces with fielded panels which must be from part of an earlier house of c.1700.

Listing NGR: SJ6039973475

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 60399 73475


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 06:02:50.

End of official listing