This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND PRESBYTERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND PRESBYTERY

List entry Number: 1287184

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND PRESBYTERY, ST JAMES' ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Wigan

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 403043

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ORRELL ST. JAMES' ROAD SD 50 SW (east side) 8/106 Church of - St. James and Presbytery - II Catholic Church. 1805, lengthened 1841, west tower 1882 (ritual west is actual north). Stone with hipped slate roof. 4-bay nave, north chapel, west tower and presbytery to east. West facade has corbeled frieze, cornice and parapet. Round- headed windows with plain architraves. Porch has aedicule with flat Tuscan pilasters; recessed paired 2-fielded-panel doors and overlight with glazing bars. Cornice and blocking course at eaves level; round-headed niche with statue of St. James and impost band; bell stage, has 2 round-headed bell openings, panelled pilasters and impost band. Top entablature and lead-clad swept ogee domical vault and finial cross. South facade has 1st 2 bays of stone, 2nd 2 bays plastered; round-headed windows. North facade similar. Later chapel of 3 bays with 2-light windows and north entrance. Presbytery is stuccoed, of 2 storeys with attic under gable and 3 bays, small extension to left of 2 storeys and bays. Windows have plaster surrounds. Ground floor has C20 bay windows; extension has sashed windows with glazing bars. 1st floor has sashed windows with glazing bars, window to centre bay is blind with round-headed attic window with casement above; extension similar. Entrance to central bay is round-headed with Tuscan doorcase and fanlight with glazing bars; 2-panel door. Plain round-headed entrance to 2nd bay of extension. Recessed gabled bay to right return. Interior of Church has west gallery on 2 iron columns. East end has Ionic balustrade; Ionic aedicule behind altar with no pediment. C20 altar, reredos and canopy. Flanking altars and reredoses of grey and white marble. 3 segmental arches die into jambs to north chapel; good late C19 stained glass and marble altar and reredos; C20 internal porch.

Listing NGR: SD5277803906

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 52778 03906

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287184 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2018 at 07:44:04.

End of official listing