CHURTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1287224

Date first listed: 22-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: CHURTON HALL, PUMP LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287224 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 05:11:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURTON HALL, PUMP LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Churton By Farndon

National Grid Reference: SJ 41930 56435

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 45 NW CHURTON BY FARNDON C.P. PUMP LANE South Side

1/20 Churton Hall

22/10/52

GV II

Hall, 1569 (?), oak framed, replaced in brick at rear, with grey slate roof, probably formerly thatched. Externally restored with much framing renewed; internally the plan is altered. 2 storeys, E-shaped. The central portion has heavy timbers, 1 cross-rail and narrow panels. Inner walls of cross-wings have chevron braces and the gables have lozenges and concave lozenges (probably confirming painted date on porch). Front of right gable is slightly jettied; upper part of central portion is rendered. Projecting 1-storey gabled oak-framed porch right of centre has arched entrance of oak with rose; split balusters in open sides. Above the porch are 2 armorial bearings on octagonal plaques: to left a shield has white chevron band with 3 daggers or above and 3 below, to right white horse's head in circle. Massive lateral sandstone chimney, left; against left end is a small slate-roofed brick leanto, probably C19; 2 brick ridge chimneys. Porch has painted board WB 1569 EB; massive door of 3 oak boards on heavy wrought iron hinges. A pair of small 4-pane casements above porch; 2 replaced casements to each storey left of porch; wall right of porch unpierced; one replaced window to each storey in each cross-gable. Interior: Altered ingle-nook in left parlour - an oak hood-beam now in main ceiling suggests that lateral chimney was a C17 extension. 2 heavy chamfered main beams of oak in rear parlour of right cross-wing. Oak boards are visible in bedroom over left parlour. 2 C17 panelled oak doors upstairs. Roof timbers look C19.

Listing NGR: SJ4193056435

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 402979

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing