Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287233.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:00:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 61691 74237


SJ 67 SW; 4/56





Church: Tower mid C15, remainder C16,probably later C16, restorations of 1855 by Salvin, 1877 by Douglas when porch and vestry added. Ashlar red sandstone, Welsh slat roof. 5-bay nave and chancel, and aisles under roofs of parallel ridges and almost the same height, south porch, vestry and 4-stage west tower. South aisle has a moulded plinth, cill band and cornice, and an embattled parapet. The bays are divided by buttresses. The gabled south porch at the left end has a moulded 4-centred arched entrance on colonnettes with a label mould on carved head stops. Figure of Christ and inscription in the gable. Broad 4-centred arched 4-light aisle windows have minimal cavetto moulded tracery. The chapel window is slightly smaller. The east end, south aisle and nave windows are 5-light with uncusped panel tracery. North aisle is similar but of 4-lights. The north aisle is more barren than the south aisle and can be shown to have been added, but has a priest's door. The bold tower has diagonal buttresses, and bands at each floor. Band of cross motifs below parapet with gargoyles and an embattled parapet. Sharply pointed arch to the west door, restored 3-light west window and similar louvred bell openings in the top stage. South side has the Warburton arms.

INTERIOR: continuous 5-bay arcades in nave and chancel with no chancel arch. The arcades have octagonal piers with broad 4-centred arches. To the nave, the north aisle piers are thinner and their capitals differ from the chancel and the south aisle. Trusses in nave are sprung from stone corbels and are arch-braced with 2 diagonal struts. Roof contains 2 dormers of 3 semicircular headed lights. South aisle has flat ceiling of moulded wooden cross beams (a C19 restoration). North aisle has a very low pitched panelled ceiling with deeply moulded members. North aisle chapel screens have fielded panels and a turned column balustrade above. The Wilbraham chapel in the south aisle has a similar parclose screen and balustrade, but with plank and moulded muntin panelling to the chapel screen. Fine communion rail of 1709 of twisted balusters and reredos of reset linenfold panelling brought from Dutton Old Hall. Good C18 brass chandelier in chancel. Simple octagonal font on a plain column has ornate Jacobean wooden cover of 8 brackets and a tall finial.

This is a very large and complete church of the Post-Reformation period. The manor of Weaverham was held for 250 years by Vale Royal Abbey and so the church must have been rebuilt after the Dissolution by the new manorial owners.

Listing NGR: SJ6169374238


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16004/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R.G. Noxon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].