CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1287564
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287564.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:43:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Filby
National Grid Reference:
TG 46901 13224

Details

TG 41 SE FILBY CHURCH LANE (east side)

4/5 Church of All Saints 25.9.62

- II*

Parish church. C14 with C15 alterations, including tower. Restored 1873 and 1886. Flint with ashlar dressings. Nave roof thatched, aisles leaded, chancel roof slate. West tower, nave, aisles and chancel. 3 stage tower supported on diagonal buttresses. Tall flushwork plinth course decorated with trefoiled arcade. West door within arch enriched with hollow casement and wave mouldings. Above is 3-light Perpendicular C19 window. Quatrefoil ringing chamber ventilation panels within square surrounds. String course below belfry. 2-light belfry windows with mouchette tracery. Flushwork parapet with triple-stepped crenellations. At the corners are turrets with finials. Stairs to south-east. 3-light aisle west windows with reticulation units split by rising supermullions, of C19 date. Cusped 3-light aisle east windows. Diagonal east and west buttresses to aisles and central buttress to flanks. 3 3-light C19 cusped south aisle windows under segmental arches and 3 2-light cusped Y tracery north aisle windows, also C19. Arched south doorway with sunk quadrant and hollow mouldings. Gabled C19 north porch. 4 clerestory windows north and south of encircled quatrefoil design. South chancel lit through one 2-light C14 Y window, the lights supporting rounded trefoils and a quatrefoil vesica. To east a cusped 2-light C14 Y tracery window. Diagonal eastern buttresses. 4-light C19 intersecting east window with encircled quatrefoils within the intersections. C19 lean-to organ chamber to north chancel wall to west of which is a 2-light C14 cusped Y tracery window. Interior. 5 bay octagonal arcade with piers carried on moulded bases. Moulded capitals support double hollow chamfered arches. Clerestory windows deeply splayed. Tall tower arch with semi-circular responds and chamfered arch. Double hollow chamfered chancel arch on polygonal responds identical to arcade. Scissor braced C19 nave roof. Aisle roofs of C19 also, with moulded rafters. Re-cut C13 Purbeck marble octagonal font : central and 8 orbiting marble columns and 2 incised arches each facet of bowl. Holy water stoups by north and south doors. Arched C13 tower stair door of timber decorated with closely set vertical and horizontal wrought iron straps. Lock, guard plate and handle intact. South-east nave chapel marked by trefoiled piscina and C20 aumbry. Early C16 polygonal pulpit with 2 panels each facet. These facets with quatrefoils below and mouchette tracery in head. Dado of chancel screen is C15 : 2 bays each side of opening, each of 2 Perpendicular traceried panels. Each panel painted with figure of a Saint. Top rail of dado has relief carving of painted vine trail. Traceried head of screen of 1886 in Perpendicular style. C19 arch braced chancel roof with ashlaring boarded and pierced by wavy motif. Wall monument to Charles Lucas 1831 by Joseph Hermann (of Dresden). Marble. Above inscription panel is relief stele depicting standing genius bearing extinguished torch. To right the capital of a broken Ionic column. To left an urn bearing word OSSA. Pedimented top. Immediately east is wall monument to Gibson Lucas 1790. Black and white marble. Above inscription panel is black marble obelisk against which is mourning Greek seated upon sarcophagus embracing 2 urns. To east a mutilated piscina.

Listing NGR: TG4690113224

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402042
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16801/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Grint. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].