CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1287570
Date first listed:
25-Sep-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, YARMOUTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287570.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:48:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, YARMOUTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Great Yarmouth (District Authority)
Parish:
Ormesby St. Michael
National Grid Reference:
TG 48075 14883

Details

TG 41 SE ORMESBY ST. MICHAEL YARMOUTH ROAD (north side) 4/36 25.9.62 Church of St. Michael - II* Parish church. C13 tower and chancel, C14 nave. Chancel restored 1787. Major restorations 1885-86. Further restorations 1973-79. Flint with ashlar dressings. Thatched nave and leaded chancel. 3 stage unbuttressed west tower, externally of 2 stages. Ashlar quoins. 2-light cusped west window with rounded lights. Quatrefoil ringing chamber ventilation lights to north, south and west. These immediately below string course. Louvred belfry windows under triangular heads in reduced brick openings. Flushwork crenellated parapet. 4 gargoyles. Diagonal buttresses to west end of nave. Gabled and thatched south porch dating from 1970's work. Wave and hollow chamfer inner south doorway. 2 flat stepped buttresses to nave, north and south. 2 2-light cusped Y tracery south windows moulded on exterior. 2 2-light Perpendicular north windows. North door blocked and, over it, a C20 circular flint outbuilding. West of this the remains of brick jambs of a window. Eastern nave gable. One trefoiled lancet to north and south chancel walls. In addition south side pierced by arched priests' door and 2-light C13 plate tracery window : pointed lights supporting encircled quatrefoil vesica. Diagonal east buttresses and 3-light C19 Perpendicular window. Interior. Hollow chamfered tower arch. Nave roof restored'1885-86. Moulded principals on hollow chamfered arched braces dropping into wall posts. Roll moulded wall plate below 2 tiers crenellations. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece. Wave moulded C19 chancel arch with polygonal responds, bases and capitals. 3 orders of wave mouldings in arch. Scissor braced chancel roof of C13 origins but so restored as to- qualify for date of 1885-86. Chamfered arched piscina. Plain C13 octagonal font with central shaft and 8 orbiting Purbeck marble columns. Restored. 3 chancel windows contain stained glass by Hanry Holiday : south 1898, north 1911-13, east 1919-20.

Listing NGR: TG4807514883

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
402073
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12644/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Parker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].