This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1287916



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Sandwell

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Sep-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219265

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SANDWELL MB CHURCH ROAD/THE UPLANDS SP 08 NW Smethwick 9/59 Smethwick Old Church (formerly listed as Smethwick Chapel) 21.3.49 GV II*

Church. Consecrated 1732, partly rebuilt in 1963. Brick in Flemish bond with slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, narrow chancel, and north- east vestry rebuilt in 1963. The four-bay nave has chamfered quoins, a cornice which continues around the tower, and a brick parapet. The windows have stone surrounds with round heads, keystones, and impost blocks. The tower parapet, above a cornice, is swept upwards at the corners. The bell openings are louvred and have surrounds similar to those of the nave windows. Attached to each is an iron clock face. Below is a band, and below that a blind round opening. The west doorway has an outer round brick arch and an inner stone surround with round head. The chancel has a square east end, and convex walls joining it to the nave. The east wall has a segmental pediment above the cornice, and a window similar to those of the nave. To each side of the chancel, in the east wall of the nave, there is a doorway with a round window above, under a brick arch. The left-hand doorway is now blocked, and the right-hand one is covered by the C20 vestry. Interior: west gallery, added in 1759, has timber front carried on two fluted timber Doric antae. Walls have dentilled cornice, with bays separated by a giant order. The round chancel arch is flanked by pilasters. Wall tablets include one on the north respond of the chancel arch to John Hinckley, died 1740, and one on the south respond to Dorothy Parkes, died 1727. History: Dorothy Parkes of Birmingham left money to build a chapel on her lands in Smethwick. It was asigned a district in 1842 and has no dedication. (VCH, pp 123 & 124).

Listing NGR: SP0200187646

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Stafford, (1976), 123 124

National Grid Reference: SP 02001 87646


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287916 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 01:10:57.

End of official listing