CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1287929
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1287929.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:37:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Upton Warren
National Grid Reference:
SO 93067 67470

Details

UPTON WARREN CP UPTON WARREN SO 96 NW 6/121 Church of St Michael 14.3.69

GV II*

Parish church. Late C13 remodelled late C14, chancel rebuilt 1724, nave 1798. Sandstone ashlar, tile roof. Chancel, nave, late C13 to south- east corner of nave. Tower: three stages, upper stage offset, diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet, recessed octagonal stone spire, gargoyle water spouts. Ground stage: east and west have Decorated windows each of two cinquefoil headed lights, first stage blank save a small 2-centred head window to south; belfry: each window has two trefoil headed lights under centred head, late C13. Nave: 1798, plain parapet, moulded cornice; three bays, windows have 2-centred heads, labels and Y-tracery, west wall blank, entrance in south wall at west end with centred moulded head. Chancel: 1724 rebuild incorporating earlier walls of uncertain date, plain parapet and moulded cornice, band; side walls, blind, east window: 2-centred head without tracery. Interior: chancel arch a plain 2-centred arch; tower arch of two moulded orders continued down jambs with 2-centred head. Gallery at west end on two cast iron columns. Fittings: late C18 wooden Gothick pulpit. East window glass signed by "Taylor late O'Connor/ 4 Berners St London 1880".

Listing NGR: SO9306767470

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400972
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05350/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Lacey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].