CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1288189
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288189 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 10:50:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Kirkby on Bain
National Grid Reference:
TF 24371 62444

Details

TF 26 SW KIRKBY ON BAIN CHURCH LANE 2/15 (east side)

14.9.66 Church of St.Mary

G.V. II

Parish church. 1802, restored, chancel rebuilt, porch added, windows filled with mullions and tracery 1879. Squared greenstone rubble, yellow and red brick. Slate roofs. West porch and bellcote, nave, chancel and vestry. Gabled west porch with pointed outer doorway and inner planked double doors in pointed arch. In the gable over a blank ashlar plaque. Gabled bellcote, with single bell opening with moulded hood and floriate stops. Side walls of nave have 2 three light intersecting traceried windows with plain ashlar imposts on north and 3 similar windows on the south. Facetted yellow brick chancel has 2 blank pointed arches, 2 single pointed cusped lights and in the east wall a 3 light window with panel tracery. On the south side a pent roofed vestry with trefoil headed lights. Interior. Wide semi-circular arch incorporating re-used slightly hollow chamfered voussoirs. C19 rounded responds. Fittings. Royal Arms at west end dated 1712. Font probably 1802, a small bowl on bulbous baluster on square base. Stained glass. 3 windows in the east end, 1926, by William Morris & Co. Fine Jacobean altar table with turned cup and cover balusters, carved friezes and at the centre a cupboard with panelled and facetted sides.

Listing NGR: TF2437162444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400421
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05736/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Miles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].