CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1288219
Date first listed:
14-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288219.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Jun-2021 at 01:26:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bath and North East Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Monkton Combe
National Grid Reference:
ST 77219 61924

Details

ST 76 SE MONKTON COMBE

7/123 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

G.V. II

Anglican Parish Church. 1865 by C.E. Giles of Taunton, replacing a church of 1814; altered and enlarged 1886 by E.H.L. Barker. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and chapel, north aisle and chapel; all in an Early English style. West tower of 2 stages with a saddleback roof and weathervane; set back buttresses and cylindrical stair tower with conical roof on north side; corbel table and triple lancet lights to the bellchamber; 2-light plate tracery west window; chamfered doorway under a gable to the north. North aisle: two 2-light plate tracery windows; coarsely cut wheel window to north transept. Chancel: 3-light east window of lancets with foiled circles above. South aisle and chapel: single 2- and 3-light trefoil headed windows, some under dripmoulds with carved stops. Interior: 3 bay arcade of cylindrical columns and pointed arches. All fittings of 1860's and later.

Listing NGR: ST7721961924

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
400247
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01407/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Ryall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].