This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1288641



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hillesden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 399142

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/15 Church of All Saints 13.7.66


Parish Church. Mid C15 W. tower of rubble stone. Remainder rebuilt after 1493 in ashlar, restored 1874-5 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, and again in 1960. Lead roofs. Cruciform plan with aisles, N. porch, chapel to N. of chancel and vestry with octagonal stair turret to NE. Very fine Perpendicular church with moulded plinth, buttresses hood-moulds, plain parapet to nave and remainder embattled with ornamental blind tracery and crocketted finials to N. porch, chancel, chapel, vestry and stair turret. Tower of 3 stages has 2-light traceried openings to bell chamber and to W. side over 4-centred moulded doorway. Nave has 3 bays of 5-light cusped windows forming continuously glazed clerestory. Aisles have triple uncusped lancets in 4-centred heads. Porch has 4-centred arch with carved foliage in spandrels and elaborate canopied niche above; interior has traceried wall panels and fan vault. Transepts, N. chapel and chancel have 4-light transomed Perpendicular windows, uncusped to N. and S. of transepts. Large E. window has 5 lights with transom and double traceried upper section. 2-storey vestry has single 4-centred lights to ground floor and 2-light cusped windows with flat hoods above. Stair turret has striking top with elaborate parapet and crocketted ogee arches to central finial. Interior: nave arcade of 3 bays has moulded 4-centred arches on piers with attached shafts. Taller similar arches to transepts and chancel. Chancel has 2 similar arches on 8-shafted piers to N. chapel, blind tracery panels to remaining walls and top frieze of carved half-angels holding scrolls or musical instruments. N. chapel has similar wall panels and squints to upper vestry. Flat plaster ceilings with wooden ribs. Piscinae in chancel and N. chapel have moulded corbels. Fittings: circular C13 font. Early C16 wooden screen with much restored elaborate tracery and rood loft on fans. Pews and choir stalls with linenfold ornament : some c16, restored and imitated C19. Similar low screen in N. chapel. C17 family pew in N. transept with strapwork and pedimented cartouches. C15-C16 doors. Fragments of early C16 glass in chancel and S. aisle; complete window to E. of S. transept. 1875 glass to S. window of transept. Painted coat of arms to left of E. window. 3 late C17 painted panels in tower with royal arms, Aaron and Moses. Monuments: In chancel: marble wall monument to Catharine Denton 1733 by H. Cheere with sarcophagus on plinth, flanking busts, urns and obelisk; wall tablet to Dr. William Denton, physician to Charles I and II 1691 with flanking Tuscan columns; tablet to George Woodward 1735. In N. chapel: altar tomb with recumbent effigies of Thomas Denton and wife 1560; elaborate wall monument to Alexander Denton 1576 with sarcophagus and surround of fluted Tuscan columns, triglyph entablature,bold cornice and pediment; wall tablets to Elizabeth Denton 1667, Thomas Isham 1676, Godfrey Boate mid c18.

RCHM II pp. 146-150

Listing NGR: SP6856928753

Selected Sources

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume Two North, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SP 68569 28753


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 06:55:56.

End of official listing