CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1288923
Date first listed:
12-Apr-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1288923.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 18:55:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Ormside
National Grid Reference:
NY 70139 17647

Details

NY 71 NW BANDLEYSIDE GREAT ORMSIDE

9/32 Church of St James

G.V. I

Parish Church, dating from late Cll with later alterations and additions. Coursed, squared rubble used in earlier parts and snecked rubble for later work. Nave and lower chancel roofs are graduated slate on south side and stone flagged on north, with stone copings and C19 apex crosses; gabled tower roof and vestry outshut on north side are graduated slate. West tower, nave, and chancel; Hilton chapel added to north of nave in 1723, replacing original north aisle. 3-stage, stepped west tower has single narrow opening to each floor on south and west sides, and massive angle buttressing; 3 mask corbels from original top string course survive in each gable. Gabled C19 south porch rebuilt from earlier materials to west of original position. Shouldered outer door; inner door surround has semicircular head and continuous triple-cavetto moulding. Late C11 door to east partially blocked with 2-light Cl9 window inserted. C18 nave window surround with semicircular head has C19 traceried window inserted (2 similarly treated windows in north wall of Hilton chapel); small C14 mullioned window to right has 2 lights with trefoiled ogee heads under hoodmould. Chancel has 3 windows on south side (none on north) of which central one is reset C14/C15, with 2 ogee-headed lights, above early C16 door with moulded ogee head under hoodmould; mullioned windows to either side are early C16 with 2 semicircular-headed lights each. Similar 3-light east window has blocked head of 2-light C14 window set in wall above. Internally, the original narrow west doorway with semicircular head now leads into tower which has had a basement excavated, probably to house the heating system. A C12 arcade of 2 semicircular arches separates the Hilton chapel from the nave; the west respond is C18/C19 but the freestanding pier and east respond have retained their scalloped capitals and moulded bases. North wall of chapel has inset panel with coat-of-arms and 1723 date; patterned woodblock floor has 1884 date on central block. Hagioscope between vestry and chancel has C14 trefoiled head; early C16 combined aumbry/piscina of 2 recesses with semicircular heads in south wall at east end. Chancel has 3-bay early C16 king-post roof with moulded tie-beams, curved braces, and raking struts; C19 nave roof has crown-posts and moulded tie-beams. Font probably C12 on C19 base; square in plan with shallow circular basin and tapered rounding of corners.



Listing NGR: NY7014117644

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
73270
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].