CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1289533
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
08-Nov-1999
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1289533.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 12:22:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Treverbyn
National Grid Reference:
SX 01668 57090

Details

SX 05 NW TREVERBYN TREVERBYN

868/6/577 Church of St Peter (Formerly listed as: 11.03.1974 TREVERBYN St Peter's Church)

- II

Anglican church. 1848-50 by G E Street. Local rubble with Pentewan stone dressings; steep rag slate roofs; bellcote over W gable. STYLE: Middle Pointed. PLAN: nave, lower chancel, baptistry at Wend, S porch and small N vestry transept. EXTERIOR: buttresses dividing 3:2 bays to nave and chancel; 2-light cusped and traceried windows except for 3-light E window and square-headed single-light and 2-light windows to flat-roofed baptistry with canted corners. Porch has quatrefoil over moulded 2-centred arched doorway with C20 copy planked doors; another pointed doorway to vestry. Old chamfered granite wheelhead cross on moulded base under E window. INTERIOR: not inspected but described in Pevsner as having a great barn-like roof; memorial windows to Gill. A very early work by Street, which like St Mary at Par ( qv) again expresses the simplicity of design characteristic of the early Ecclesiological movement. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London: 1990-: 229).



Listing NGR: SX0166857090

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
396955
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cornwall, (1951), 229

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09361/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George A. Taylor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].